Craft Organization Idea - Old Cassette Storage Boxes

     Short version - I pulled off the original covering off two cassette storage boxes, painted the inside, decoupaged the outside.  Still unsure what I'm putting inside or how I'm doing it . . . any suggestions?

- hope you're doing well and hope that maybe I sparked a bit of creativity or motivation in you!

(On with the yammer. . .)

     I've had two old cassette storage boxes for a loooonnnnggg time, but I've been trying to figure out how to use them.  I've seen other blog posts showing pictures of them painted.  They say they've used them to organize craft supplies, but I haven't seen or read what they've actually put in them or how they've done it.  I'm thinking I could use them for die cuts or embellishments, but I'm still working the details out.  Did they use the old cases?  Did they use the slots like others do with ink pads?  Did they do something else??
     I decided to answer those questions later and set out to fix the outside.  I painted the bare, wooden insides black to help conceal the chipped edges on a few of the drawers.  I wasn't sure how well paint would stick to the faux wooden outside, so I striped off the outer, thick contact paper-like covering.


     I wasn't sure I'd have enough craft paint and wondered if it'd just scratch off anyway, so I decoupaged old book pages onto them.
     I had kept one of the U shaped, contact paper-like pieces that covered the fronts of the drawers to use as a template in case I was going to replace them, but decided to keep them black and just make a label out of the old book pages and a white address label across the handle/grip part.
     Maybe I'll just take the cassettes out of the cases & use them as is to hold die cuts or other embellishments, maybe try to see if I can remove the prongs that hold the cassettes in? Not sure if a heat tool would do it or if/how I could cut them out.  One person online mentioned she stored the Tim Holtz ink blending tools inside.  I was able to put my original tool and my two smaller round ones as well as a few of the blending foam pieces.  To organize it a little better, I put a tape in to divide the two different foam pieces and the tools.


  Everything seemed to fit and to hold well, but it only took up one drawer.  I'm trying to keep like items together but my ink pads don't fit and I don't know what else I could put in the other 5 drawers.  I've been using a very old makeup organizer to hold them - it works well for me and since it's next to my ink pads, will probably continue to do so.  Still unsure what I'm going to do. . .


     Has anyone redone these cassette storage boxes into craft storage?  If so, how did you do it?  Please share your experience!  Any other suggestions out there?




     If you're a "pinner," please check me out at https://www.pinterest.com/daylightdesigns/



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Craft Organization - Die Storage (Sizzix XL dies)

DIY Glue Dots & Storage

Craft Organization - File Cabinet Die Storage (Sizzix original/Bigz)