DIY Glue Dots & Storage

     This idea isn't original - I've seen it around but thought it couldn't hurt to share my process and storage idea.
     I made two sizes of glue dots using the Aleene's Tack it Over & Over method.
     I labeled this post "Repurposing" because I used old feeder printer label sheets and a small Stampin' Up! container.

     Sometimes it's good to go back and review some basics.  Thanks for checking out my quick project for today - hope you're doing well and hope that maybe I sparked a bit of creativity or motivation in you!

(On with the yammer. . .)


     I wanted to have the glue dots be as close to the same size as I could, so I made templates.  I used a Sharpie to trace the small feeder holes from the label sheets I saved to make a pattern for the smaller sized dots.  (I got a box of the old feeder-type printer labels a looong time ago and still use them - I keep the sticker paper for other projects like DIY stickers & embellishments, using the stickers I get in the mail from various fundraisers for Veterans' cards with school kids, and this project.)  I used a circle punch for the larger sized ones.


     I wanted to "protect" the glue and not make a big mess, so I needed the sheets to fold in half.  The smaller sized Stampin' Up! containers were a little smaller than half the length of the container, so I folded the sheets to have a 1" flap, and then folded them in half.  (I like how the flap also helps the sheets stay folded.)  I put my Sharpie template under a folded sheet, grabbed Aleene's Tack it Over & Over, and squeezed glue onto the spots.  When I made "enough," I left the sheets open out on my craft table to dry overnight, and put them into a container.  I wasn't too sure how long they were going to sit or if the case was "air-tight" enough, so I put all of one size into a sandwich-sized ziplock (it was on my table, so I'm technically re-using this too) and then put them into the container.
     I've used them on projects months after I made them and they're still working great!

     I put some extra, folded sheets underneath the ziplock to make more if/when I get the urge, and made the label on my computer.  The label is just taped onto the container with another, smaller one for the side.

     Both containers fit on top of each other in a file sorter in my small bookcase that's under one side of my craft table (my "shopped at home"/patched version of the craft tables that use new cubbie bookcases as "legs" that I've seen posted all over the internet for years).
     I just noticed that in the pic above you can see glass - it's a shelf that I've repurposed for my craft table.  It's not my ideal piece because it doesn't cover the width or length of the table (it's also too narrow to fit a scrapbook page), but it is better than nothing.  It's a lot easier to scrape glue/paint off it than off my table top.  I tried using a pane of glass I picked up off Craigslist, but the brief description didn't mention the dimensions nor that it was tempered glass.  (We learned this the hard way - it turned into a quarantine lesson on what happens to windshields in an accident for the boys.)

     If you have any questions, suggestions, or tips that have worked for you, please leave it below.  You never know who it could help or motivate!


     If you're a "pinner," please check me out at https://www.pinterest.com/daylightdesigns/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Craft Organization - Die Storage (Sizzix XL dies)

Craft Organization - File Cabinet Die Storage (Sizzix original/Bigz)