Craft Organization Idea - Granola Box to Magazine Box Idea

     I "built" something.  Pardon the pic - it looks horrible!  Kinda like a proverbial red-headed stepchild - and I could only think to describe it as if a magazine file fell in love with a box and created an offspring.  But, to use another phrase, this thing has legs, if ya give it a chance and can look past this horrible cover job.
       I took a granola bar box from Costco, lifted up the top to make a tall back, glued a big piece of cardboard to it and around the sides, and then covered the whole thing.  I decided against trimming the sides to allow them to offer more support to any supplies housed inside - scrapbook papers, pads, or even some albums fit nicely.  I liked how the sides seemed to almost blend into each other when they were side-by-side.  Not trimming them down could also help them stack better laying down.

     - but after all that, I didn't use it as-is.  I thought I could still share it because someone else might find the idea useful and I might make it again sometime (-and easily make it look better than I did the first time).


(On with the yammer. . .)

     After packing snacks for a little league game, I noticed the box for the granola bars was pretty sturdy and I liked the width.  The depth and height were a little odd at first, but after trying a few things out, I noticed it was great for scrapbook papers, I just had to make it tall enough.  When I lifted the top up, it worked, but I noticed the two sides had gaps - so I grabbed a moving box I still had and wrapped it around the two sides and the back.  (I decided to double up on the back/top part because the fold made the back a little "wobbly.")

     I first tried to cover it with one sheet of our wrapping papers from our move, but it didn't work out well (hard to believe that something could be worse than the picture, but it was. . .).  I took a few more of the papers, tore them up, and decoupaged a thin layer down - not that this was a much better idea, but gave me some needed practice decoupaging.

     After making these, I put them in my bookcase, thinking I'd eventually put them into the pull-out bookcase I still need to either convince hubs to build or figure out how to successfully do so myself.  Seeing the three unassuming box/files sit there looked nice, and seemed like it'd help organize things well, but I soon decided to just alter them to fill a need that popped up.  I could always make more, if I ever need them.



     If you're a "pinner," you can check me out at https://www.pinterest.com/daylightdesigns/


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Craft Organization - Die Storage (Sizzix XL dies)

Craft Organization - File Cabinet Die Storage (Sizzix original/Bigz)

DIY Glue Dots & Storage