Craft Organization - Graham Cracker Boxes to Card Storage

     Some time after seeing cute, mini magazine holders a few talented women made online, I noticed that graham cracker boxes from Costco were a good size for my cards. . .and came up with these.

      The boxes were a little flimsy, so I opened them up and glued another layer of cardboard (from other boxes).

    I glued the box back into shape, decoupaged, and added some metal apothecary-type pulls from Amazon to the fronts (the ones I ordered are no longer available, but there are many others - just search for label pull handles and you should find similar ones).  I just wanted to make sure I like the grouping inside before I made labels.


     Thanks for checking out my quick project  - hope you're doing well and hope that maybe I sparked a bit of creativity or courage in you! 
(But - if you raid your pantry and take any cardboard boxes, think of labeling any bags you take out if they're not easily recognizable. . . trust me, it could save you or your family a little grief.)

(On with the yammer. . .)


      As I've mentioned before, I started squirrelling some boxes into a "stash closet."  I've also gotten into the habit of opening some up, turning them "inside out," and re-gluing them back into shape when I was going to use them.  Sounds odd, yes - but I prefer a craft-colored version more than the bright advertisements on the boxes and like that any label I put on the box would stand out and make it easier to locate and read.  I do have a few boxes I've covered with the cheap, white, Dollar Tree duct tape, but I can still see and read the old labels/ads a little bit even after two layers.  (Opening the boxes up is also an easier way to store them and it's a step closer for those I just use for cardboard.)

     For anyone who isn't sure how to make the magazine shape - I drew a line on one of the sides (I did 4" from the bottom, but you may want more/less), then measured in a few inches on the top of both the front and the back of the box (mine is 1 3/4", but I'm not sure why I chose that . . . I remember looking at a store purchased one I have, so maybe I thought that was a close match?)  and then drew a diagonal line to connect those two points.  (In case I'm being as clear as mud here, check out the pic again. . . or comment below and I can try again. . .)

     After decoupaging my recycle box "successfully" (i.e. feeling good about my effort and not feeling like I just turned it into junk), I ditched the model I made with the duct tape and decided to do more decoupage.

     I was hoping the black and white pages used for the decoupage would look good in the wooden lockers that have black and white inside.  I suppose I could mention that I'm not sure if I'm just a typical mom who gets pulled here and there, if I have ADD, or if I've just picked up some strange habits from my kids - but, I can't remember the last time I really just sat down and finished a project.  After quickly putting the mini magazine holders in my bookcase to get them out of the way for another project, I realized they could fit on a lower shelf and that I liked them there.  I get to see the apothecary labels better than if they were hidden inside a locker - plus, I don't know why I didn't think of it before, but having them by where I store my stamps seems more logical than putting them elsewhere, especially since I stamp on cards more than anything else.

      I cut some cardboard to serve as dividers and punched labels using an old McGill punch.  I wrote on the labels, but once I got a replacement charging card, I used my older computer to make better labels (I don't like my own writing and wanted these labels to match other labels I have in the area.)  I measured the opening in the tab/pulls, made text boxes the same size, and designed labels using the two different fonts I've used for other things in my area.



          If you're a "pinner," please check me out (and maybe follow me while you're at it?) at https://www.pinterest.com/daylightdesigns/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Craft Organization - Die Storage (Sizzix XL dies)

DIY Glue Dots & Storage

Craft Organization - File Cabinet Die Storage (Sizzix original/Bigz)