Quarantine Project #2B - IKEA Gnedby

     As I posted before, I had some extra beadboard. . . and used it to make more pieces in my craft corner seem more like a matched set.
     I didn't have a piece big enough to fit the whole back and didn't want to disassemble the IKEA Gnedby unit, so I just measured all the spaces and ended up doing a lot of cutting with the miter saw.  I measured things as well as I could so the grooves in the beadboard would be in the same place on all of the shelves.  (I planned a little ahead so I ended up cutting all the pieces I've used in a few projects all at once.)
     For now, I've just placed the pieces in and put my supplies on the shelf.

     Thanks for checking out my quick project  - hope you're doing well and hope that maybe I sparked a bit of creativity or courage in you!

(on with the yammer. . .)

     Sorry I didn't take a "before" pic, but it's not that different.  (If you really want to see what it looked like before, IKEA still has it on their website today.  It's a Gnedby unit built for CD's/DVD's -  https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/gnedby-shelf-unit-birch-veneer-90277145/)
    We didn't pay full price ($60), it was closer to $36 from what I can remember.  We got ours years ago from the "As Is" section near the check out.  There wasn't anything wrong with it - someone just didn't want it after they put it together.  The section is honestly a hit-or-miss kind of thing, but worth a look if you have one nearby.

     We did use ours to store DVD's in our old house, but it didn't really seem to fit in our current one.  When we moved in, I put pieces that didn't belong anywhere into the converted garage to figure out what to do with them.  Some of the pieces got new homes, others got shuffled around until they spoke to me.  This one has been in a few different places, but I think I may have finally found a good current purpose.

       I've been thinking of painting the whole piece white to match the other furniture, but haven't gotten around to it yet.  If you look close enough in the pictures, yes, that is just a piece of cardboard being used as a top shelf.  Unfortunately, I ran out of shelves.  I'm thinking I'll either cut another piece of wood or try layering a few more pieces of cardboard and wrap it in contact paper or the white duct tape (like I did for the temporary shelves I put next to a locker I put in the empty corner space I've already posted about - they worked pretty well, I have to say - and honestly, so is the current one).  I probably won't fix things until either things stop working and I need to fix it, I finally paint the unit, or I run out of other things to do.  (Ha - maybe if I want to seem busy for some reason or think it might help motivate me to do something bigger?)  Time will tell.


- hope you're doing well and hope that maybe I sparked a bit of creativity or courage in you!


 
     If you're a "pinner," please check me out at https://www.pinterest.com/daylightdesigns/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Craft Organization - Die Storage (Sizzix XL dies)

DIY Glue Dots & Storage

Craft Organization - File Cabinet Die Storage (Sizzix original/Bigz)