Intro

     I've been "forced" to change computers and couldn't get into the blog I originally started, so I began this one.  I finally took the time to figure out how I can post to my old blog, but ran into other problematic things.  I'm in no way an expert or professional here!  Like with many projects, I'm trying to learn as I go and tackle anything that seems "wonky" as I notice them.
     (As a bit of a side note, I'm going to include some of my thoughts as I think them. . . they are little tangents, so I'm putting them in a smaller, blue text to help you skip them, if you choose.)

     Like many people during the COVID19 quarantine, I've been surfin' the net.  One of the channels on YouTube I watch now and then had a video discussing her current opinion and questions on "craft room tour" videos.  (Lindsey Weirich, the Frugal Crafter, if you want to look her up.)  Basically, she said things in a way I needed to help me clarify what I've been thinking for longer than I can put a finger on and helped me feel like I'm not totally strange.
     Craft Room Tour videos are a version of a fantasy.  Yes, it can exist.  Yes, it is something I'd love to have - but I don't think I ever will.  I don't have as much space, time, or money as they do, especially at this point in my life.  I need to try to do 3 things when I watch any more of them: 1.) to pay attention when they mention buying all the matching cabinets instead of just drooling at them, 2.) remember they made everything look pretty for the video like we all do whenever someone important is coming for a visit, and 3.) remember most of these talented ladies do this for a business, not just as a hobby.  They have bigger budgets than I do and, besides, nobody should go shopping for it right now anyway.
     The motivation for me doing a blog comes when Lindsey talks about being unsure if it's good or bad to see other women show their craft rooms. . .  mainly because after watching them, we might feel bad about our own spaces and judge ourselves harshly.  After giving this a little thought, I remembered the reason I started watching them in the first place - for inspiration and possible "new" ideas to make my own craft area a better place for me to work.
     There are many people out there who want to be a craft community and I'm one of them.  Instead of just sitting on the sidelines, I could start participating. . . I could stop judging myself too harshly (ha - boy, is this a hard task for me) and start posting projects I'm working on.   I'm no expert and if I can do something, anyone can.  (I hesitate to call them home improvement projects - maybe I should call them Craft Corner Improvement Projects?)  I'm hoping actually starting to blog will help motivate and encourage me to try more as I build confidence - both with my blogging and with my projects.  I also hope that my attempts at blogging can help me pay it forward and provide a "new-to-someone" idea, or give someone like me just a little motivation that helps them start something, or least provide a little chuckle in a world that seems to have lost most of its humor.
     When my projects get stalled for one reason or another, I can try to post the few ways I've organized things using what I've found around the house or found really cheap.  My "budget" for my Craft Corner is as low as I can go.  If I had to say what bottom line I strive for, I'd have to say $0.  I don't think I can really do it for free, but I have been trying not to spend any money by using what I have or what I can find.  I was "shopping my home" when I could, before COVID.  Maybe I was that way because of the "3 R's" from school (Reduce, Reuse, Recycle), but I'm also the type who was raised to always have a nest egg, put necessities first, and then fit in any "entertainments" when you can afford them.  I have limited resources (I'm a SAHM with what little money not being using for things like feeding/clothing kids, self, hubs, & dog along with basic maintenance on a home going to multiple hobbies/interests/vacations/and trying to have a little saved over for emergencies that happen more often than we'd like), but I also have a family who've said they don't care how pretty things look, nobody else to see what is or isn't in my craft space, and I'd rather spend my money on the actual supplies instead of making what they're stored in look perfect.  (Fortunately or unfortunately, perfect doesn't fit into my world.  It might one day, but I'm not holding my breath and I try to push any OCD issues down enough to move on.)

     I didn't start posting right away because I wasn't sure how I wanted to do things.  There are a few different ways to blog, but I realized that I have different ways or reasons for searching/reading blogs.  Like many people, I don't always have the time to read a long post before getting to see if the reason I clicked the link or pin is something that would work for me and my family (hello to any fellow Pinterest addicts).  Sometimes I do have the time, but still just want the "gist" while other times I need the details to get the courage to actually try something new or even just a little different.  I can't be the only one out there like this!
     After a little thought, I decided I'll try something I haven't seen - posting a quick/simple explanation with maybe a few pictures at the beginning and then a lengthier/more detailed/musings after.

     As soon as I figure out some of the final details I'm getting stuck on, I'll start posting the entries I've worked on during our quarantine.

     Thanks for reading, hope I was able to express myself well and maybe somehow add a little glow into your life.



     If you're a "pinner," please check me out at https://www.pinterest.com/daylightdesigns/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Craft Organization - Die Storage (Sizzix XL dies)

DIY Glue Dots & Storage

Craft Organization - File Cabinet Die Storage (Sizzix original/Bigz)